About Van’s Electrical Systems
Van’s Electrical Systems is a family-owned and -operated business that has been in operation since 1959 and is run by two Van Vlymen brothers. Our humble beginnings are a real American success story.
In 1959, Marvin Van Vlymen Sr. hocked the family projector to buy the carburetor repair parts that launched Van’s Carburetor & Electric in a small storefront on Kentucky Ave. in Indianapolis, Indiana. It soon expanded and moved to a larger location at 1091 Kentucky Ave. and in 1974 was incorporated. In 1984, increased business made it necessary to move to 2541 Kentucky Ave. In 1998, the name was changed to Van’s Electrical Systems to reflect the shift to vehicle electrical systems. The need for more space created our move to the current location at 1850 Oliver Ave.
During the 1970s, Marvin’s sons became active in the business. Stephen serves as Van’s purchasing agent, and Andrew began as president in January 2012. Richard became general manager in 1970, president in 1979 and retired at the end of 2011. Two other brothers have since retired from the business, Marvin Van Vlymen Jr. in 2000 and Wayne Van Vlymen in 2007.
Van’s is still driven by founder Marvin Van Vlymen’s goal of providing the best service and quality products. Our employees are well-trained, and many have been with us for 20 or more years.